Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Hat


It is soon to be our little nephew's second birthday and to mark the occasion I have been doing some knitting! David and I thought that a little hat would be the perfect thing to keep his little head warm throughout the rest of that cold weather those east coasters have been having! To accompany this quick knit we also found a board book version the The Hat by Jan Brett... I know, perfect right! I hope he likes it!

As I mentioned, the hat was a very quick knit, children's hats do not take much time at all. I used an old pattern that I had purchased to make my very first hat, but I changed it up a little for this hat. I made a wider rib on the bottom, changed the decrease to slip, slip knit rather that the called for knit two together and added the white detailing.

Lately I have been pouring over my newly acquired EZ books, oh that Elizabeth Zimmermann makes me laugh! She has a wonderful way of giving you confidence in your knitting and encouraging you to make up your own designs... which is just what I did for the birthday hat. Yes, I made up the white detailing!

So, what else is on those knitting needles? Well, David has picked out yarn for his own hat, I have been working on a little grey lap blanket and will soon be embarking upon a sweater! I will of course be guided by Elizabeth's words, I plan to make her seamless yoke. I hope to make it into a cardigan... which she has you cut up the front! I will be sure to keep you posted on the goings on of my first sweater.

2 comments:

  1. I love the hat!! What a fun birthday gift for Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the blog. cant wait to keep posted on what is happening in the cozy little cottage.

    sincerely
    your new avid reader

    ReplyDelete