Friday, March 26, 2010

The Story of Stuff



Monday night found my good girlfriend and me at our usual spot, Powells bookstore. We were amidst a crowd of about 150 waiting to hear Annie Leonard speak. She is the creator behind the Story of Stuff and has just come out with a book of the same title. I had seen the video about a year ago and it really got me to thinking about how to better live this simple life I strive towards.


Throughout her talk she kept reiterating the fact that yes, we should all be doing the little, but important, things to save the earth, but what we really need to be doing is collaborating as a community to attack larger items on the agenda. I loved when she said that she longs for a society that does not give out gold stars to people for composting. Rather, composting, bringing your own bag to the grocery store and recycling should be like flossing, something every grown-up is expected to do.


She urged her listeners and readers to be citizens striving to assist with the betterment of society, not just the betterment of ourselves, which often ends up creating more consumers and more consuption. She asked that you pick your cause and contact your government to make it happen. The thing of it is, how does one go about that? Who is it that you contact to get jobs done? And, if you find those people, what do you say that will make them listen?


I left realizing that I am not really doing much for the betterment of society. I have been doing some heaving thinking on what my cause really is and how I can get my voice heard enough to make my cause the norm. She was a great speaker, proven by the fact that days later I am still thinking about it, and I look forward to some change.


P.S. if you haven't seen her video, click the link above. It is a free 20 minute video that Leonard says has been viewed over 8 million times!

No comments:

Post a Comment