Tuesday, March 9, 2010

After School Snacks

David and I spent our Sunday morning at our usual spot, the Hillsdale Farmers Market. We came home with our basket overflowing with the wonderful bounty that is late winter! Some of our favorite things to nosh on throughout the winter are greens. We love to braise them and mix them into a quinoa salad, steam them along with brown rice or make juice!

So, what do I have hiding in those jars? The back jar is black russian kale and the front is spinach. I try my hardest to avoid storing any of our food in plastic, so into the huge glass jars it is! Upon coming home from the market I make sure to wash and trim all our greens, and any vegetable for that matter. I find that if everything is washed and at the ready we are all the more inclined to eat it up. After a quick spin in the salad spinner, the greens are stored in these glass jars. I also place a little piece of flour sack towel atop the greens before I screw on the lid, to absorb any excess water that may linger. Stored this way, these greens will last the two of us through to the next market, which runs every other Sunday.

As mentioned, we love to juice our greens, it serves as the perfect after school, or after work, snack. We have this juicer and we love it! Our very favorite combination is an apple, a pear, a carrot or two, a handful of spinach and a handful of kale. And what do we do with all that pulp when we are finished juicing? Well, it goes to the chickens of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment