Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pesto


Ahh how I love pesto! We put it all sorts of goodies. And while I love it in the heat of summer, made fresh from my garden, I really grow basil upon basil plant to make pesto for the cold and dreary days of winter. Throughout the summer months I go out and cut my basil way down (maybe only two- four leaves left!) and then hurry inside to blend away!

A couple of years ago I heard about cutting your basil way down each month and the source, which of course I have not a clue where I once got this information, but anyhow, the source informed me that if I were to cut my basil way down I would be rewarded all summer with bountiful amounts of basil, and it is true! By the end of summer my plants are usually quite tall and very full... all the better for pesto.

Once my pesto is all made up I freeze it in little pint (I think they are pint, maybe 1/2 pint) freezer containers. These little ball containers hold the perfect amount of pesto for a pound of pasta, two pizzas or plenty of pesto and goat cheese toasts (a famous hors d'oeuvres often served at the Sacoolas homestead).
My pesto recipe is adapted from Susan Branch's recipe found in her Heart of the Home book (I love all her books!)

Pesto
2 c. fresh basil
3. T. toasted pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
1/2 t. salt
dash of pepper
3/4 c. Parmesan
2/3 c evoo
2 T butter

Saute/toast pine nuts in butter. Place everything in food processor and blend until well mixed.

*I always make at least a double batch... while all the ingredients are out it is just easier that way!*

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back. I've missed reading your blogs. You certainly have been busy stocking up on those wonderful, healthy, home made foods. How wonderful! The Flock and Fiber Festival was fabulous...loved your pictures. Can't wait to see the ones that you took at the Greek Festival.

    ReplyDelete