Monday, August 29, 2011

Millions of Peaches...

Oh those Presidents of the United States of America had it right... we really are going to eat a lot of peaches.

Yesterday on my way home from setting up my classroom I stopped by Grandma's Place and quickly picked a little over 20 pounds of peaches (they are my favorite to pick... so quick!) At a dollar a pound I could hardly stop myself from picking more... around these parts a dollar a pound is a screaming deal!

Our favorite way to preserve peaches for the colder months to come is dip them in a water bath for about 30 seconds, plunge in cold water, peel, slice and freeze. I always try to put up as many peaches as I can because they are our favorite treat; we want to enjoy them all year long! Throughout the year these peaches will grace our kefir smoothies, top our oatmeal (I do half oat groats and half steel cut oats in the slow-cooker over night and then we wake up to a warm breakfast!) and we will for sure be feasting on our favorite peach/raspberry crisp on some cold winter evenings as well!

When freezing I always think about how we will be using said food in the future. I like to freeze in amounts that are called for in recipes that I use often (well, for me, more like cooking patterns I like to follow... I rarely follow recipes, but love to read cookbooks to get ideas for flavor combinations). For things that will be used over a number of days, like fruit in smoothies, I like to think about how much we will use in a week, that way I can pull everything from the freezer on Sunday... it's like grocery shopping in your own garage!

And all those peelings and pits? Well this year I am going to try my hand at peach honey... we'll see how it goes?

Oh and, lest us not forget about another wonderful peach song, thank you Steve Miller Band! Any other peachy songs out there that I forgot?

No comments:

Post a Comment