Monday, August 22, 2011

the apples are in...

As if it were planned, the apple tree in our backyard, planted before we moved in, is of the variety that is ready for harvest very early in the season... just what a teacher needs! Like clockwork, right before school starts each year, our little tree lets me know it is ready for me to start processing apples!


Juicer for the cider/juice and the food processor helps me slice those apple rings quickly

A quick water dip before sliced and diced!
The previous owner of our little cottage once told me the variety is Chahalem, although I have never had that confirmed... maybe I should take an apple to the extension booth at the market!

Apple rings ready to be dried, I dip them in a lemon juice/water mix to keep them from browning
Our apples are green and tart, much like a granny smith. This year the Mr. and I decided that while we love fresh applesauce, the canned variety isn't really our favorite. However, we do love us some apple leather, dried apple rings and fresh apple juice!  So, needless to say, our little one-bun kitchen has been full, full, full of apples!

Apples ready for a few months of cold storage in our garage refrigerator 

Fresh apple juice. I freeze it in quart containers... warm apple cider all winter long!

AND, remember this? What fun! We are lucky enough to live in an area where apples grow wonderfully! Here's to another fall full of apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment