Friday, July 9, 2010

Shrimp Salad


We are in the middle of quite the little heat wave (I do love old movies... well anything old really!) and I have been trying my best to stay out of the kitchen, which is very hard for me! So instead of avoiding the kitchen altogether I have been making no-cook or little-cook dinners for the Mr. and myself.

We recently had shrimp salads, what I consider the utmost of yummy no-cook dinners! They are so simple, yet David raves about them every time :) Our salads are different each time, but this last salad started with a bed of leaf lettuce and then was topped with grated carrot, sliced cucumber, hard boiled eggs, minced scallions, sliced avocado and the shrimp, of course! I made a little dressing by mixing mayo, ketchup, garlic, salt and pepper and worcestershire and we just dolloped it over our salads. We also had some homemade bread and garlic pepper havarti (we visited the Willamette Valley Cheese tasting room that weekend and stocked up on some great cheeses!)

During the dog days of summer I also love making up grain salads and bean salads. I cook the grains or beans in the morning when the house is still cool and then mix up a dressing and toss in whatever veggies, cheese, or nuts we have in the pantry.

What are you doing to beat the heat?

Enjoy it while it's here... it will be gone before we know it!

1 comment: