Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sunday Bread


About a year ago we tried to eliminate store bought bread from our grocery list. While we are still suckers for a crispy baguette (because we have such wonderful local bakeries around here), we have been quite successful in our efforts. It has been a long time since store bought sliced bread has passed through our doors and we have loved the change.

Sunday is my bread day. The recipe I use, from the Tassajara Bread Book, makes two loaves. I either freeze one for the next week, give it away to another bread lover (the latest recipient was my mother), or I use 1/2 of the dough to make little buns that we later use for hamburgers or sandwiches.

I really like the rhythm bread making brings to the kitchen. Sundays have always been my farm chore day and this is one farm chore that I look forward to each week. I like to start the bread early in the morning and revisit it between chores throughout the day. Then as an afternoon snack, nothing beats warm bread and butter.

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed every bite of my loaf of bread and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at baking. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete