Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Grams' Meat Loaf

(Grams' Meat Loaf, Baked Potato, Green Salad with Mimi's Dressing)

With the cold weather still holding on strong, David and I thought it appropriate to sneak in one more comfort meal before our many nights of dining in the garden. My grandmother's meat loaf is a go-to recipe when we want something warm and comforting. As soon as I started to saute the onions and celery the house began to hold that enchanting smell, taking me back to all the wonderful meals I grew up with and those I knew my mother grew up with as well.

This recipe is one that I love to make and one that is very dear to my heart. I love it for many reasons, some as simple as the fact that it is so easy it can barely be called a recipe, but other reasons are far more sentimental. As I mentioned, this is Grams' meat loaf, my mother's mother. Whenever I make it I can just imagine her in her little house on Jerris street, kids running up and down the stairs and that same wonderful scent coming from the kitchen.

I grew up with this meat loaf, and the ever anticipated meat loaf sandwiches the next day, and I know that one day my children will be enjoying the same comforting meal. Last week when I made the dinner above, David and I commented that we knew Papa was licking his chops up there, looking down on us with envy over our dinner to come :)

Grams' Meat Loaf
1 1/2 Lb ground beef
1/2 tsp. dried sage
3/4 c. quaker oats (I use homemade whole wheat bread crumbs)
1 stalk celery
2 slices yellow onion (I usually use half a large onion, or a whole small spring onion)
2 eggs (Ha! or 4 from our little girls)
1 1/2 tsp. season salt (or a mixture of onion powder, garlic powder and kosher salt)
scant cup milk
pepper

Sauce:
1/4 c. ketchup (homemade makes it all the better)
3 Tbs. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. dry mustard

Heat oven to 350. Brown celery and onion in a little bit of butter, salt and pepper. Mix all together and top with sauce. Bake 1 hour.

Let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Be sure to save some for those infamous sandwiches!

*Grams always made hers in a loaf pan... David loves the crusty end pieces the best, so I make mine free form on a half jelly roll pan.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. You brought me back to my childhood and even brought a tear to my eye. I miss those meals with my family and watching Grams in the kitchen. She was a great cook and you have taken up where she left off. You have the same gift in the kitchen and with your home. You'll have many happy family memories to hold in your heart, just as I have. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete